On the topic of stress...



In my mind, stress is categorized into a group with other negative emotions including despair and frustration. Although there is a term called eustress which refers to beneficial stress, I don’t generally think of stress as positive since it has never improved my performance in an activity. Even in situations where some people might assume stress would be helpful, like before a sports game, the stress causes me to make mistakes that I wouldn’t usually make in practice while I’m calm. Recently in my psychology class, we learned about the Yerkes-Dodson law, which states that there’s an inverted U-shaped relation between arousal, on the one hand, and mood and performance, on the other. For each of us, there’s an optimal point of arousal where we perform the best, though it differs for different people. I think that my optimal point is probably lower than most since I tend to perform much worse in high-stress situations.


Image result for yerkes dodson curve

Some people argue that stress can motivate you to start working on an assignment that is due soon. Although I have seen this effect in others, stress has never played that role in my life because the onset of my stress is very delayed. For example, if there is a big volleyball game coming up, I won’t feel any pressure until I’m standing at the net waiting for the first serve. Even now, when I have a calculus exam tomorrow, I don’t feel any stress yet, but I know I’ll feel a little nervous tomorrow when we are waiting for Ms. Boca to pass out the tests. I probably would think of stress more positively than I currently do if it began early enough to serve as a motivator for me to study for exams and get stuff done.

Another reason why stress might have a negative connotation in my mind is that I can vividly remember having some test anxiety my freshman year during math exams. I don’t know how many other people have experienced this, but I would feel kind of helpless while taking the exam and I would have to read the problems multiple times before I could think of a way to approach it. Since freshman year, I haven’t experienced test anxiety very often. Although I wish I could share how this transformation happened, I don’t really know the answer myself. My guess is that part of the stress may have been induced because I hadn’t fully grasped the material. Since then, I’ve learned what methods of learning work best for me which has helped me better prepare for tests and reduce some of my stress.

Since I’ve realized that stress plays a predominantly negative role in my life, I have consciously taken steps to minimize it. One thing I’ve noticed that helps to greatly reduce and sometimes even prevent stress is by getting enough sleep. When I have a lot on my to-do list, I feel the need to stay up late and cross them all off the list. However, whenever I give up an hour or two of sleep, I’m noticeably less alert the following days, making me less productive, and thus increasing my pile of work and consequently my stress. Throughout my years at Uni, I’ve gradually learned how to handle my stress, and I’m at a point now where stress doesn’t play a major role in my day-to-day life.

Do you personally perform better under stress? What are some ways you’ve tried to minimize stress?

-Kristine

Comments

  1. "stress has never played that role in my life because the onset of my stress is very delayed." I feel like this may be the case for me as well, or, at least, something very similar might be the case. With very few exceptions, I've felt like I've felt calmer than I might have expected before a test or a race. I feel worried about projects, and worry about the need to finish them, but that feels different to me than a sort of more panicky stress (which I've definitely had before, and recently (there was a German project that really got to me) , but it seems more infrequent).

    It feels like sleep is absolutely critical to my level of stress, especially as it relates to my ability to finish my work. The more tired I am, the longer it takes before I start homework, pushing back my sleep schedule, resulting in more stress as I spend my time worrying I'm not doing my work. Hey look, speaking of, it's 10:21 and I'm just now writing this blog comment. Yipee!
    -Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am (unfortunately) a procrastinator. Unlike yourself, my stress kicks in the day before things are due or take place, and so I am forced to prepare. The stress I experience makes me more productive than I ususally am, and I am able to cover large amounts of material in fairly short time frames. However, while this sounds great, which I can definately attest for (at times), it is more like a curse. I have noticed how people like you learn to adapt in your own ways, leading to healthier study habits, while people like me continue to depend on stress. Other than "procrastination stress," I dont really experience any stress that I would deem helpful. And so, you're not really missing out on much lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have experienced a lot of stress before, and I did not enjoy it. As a result I tend to avoid stress as much as possible, which usually means finishing assignments as soon as I can without procrastinating too much. Relaxing is much more comfortable without the stress of an unfinished assignment creeping up on you.

    This overall makes me think that stress can be good, in the sense that it is healthy for people to try and avoid stress. It serves as an incentive for a better lifestyle. If it weren't for stress I would be procrastinating a lot more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be honest, if there is no stress at all for me, and little fear of negative consequences, I rarely do anything that is "out of the box" for me. In my opinion, learning for it's own sake is still worthwhile, and a little bit of pressure can motivate me to focus and learn in classes that don't particularly interest me. If there were no tests or grades in statistics, I can guarantee that I would not be trying at all, and learning nothing. I've seen the effects of this lack of motivation this year as, like many others, I've suffered from senioritis. Without the fear of the effects of a bad grade, I have put in less effort than ever in school, and learned less. That said, I agree with your point that too much anxiety, especially on the day of the test, when it does absolutely no good, can actually hurt the amount that I learn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with you on the fact that my stress takes a while to kick in, and when it does it's full blown. I still get terrible test anxiety and need to read the problem over and over again to figure out what's going on. And you're right about the vicious cycle of no sleep and unproductivity: I stay up late one night to finish something, I wake up exhausted, spend the day trying to recover, am incredibly unproductive, so I stay up late again trying to finish everything, and it continues. It is quite literally what I'm doing right now haha! Thank you for reminding me to get more sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I am either always not stressed or extremely stressed to the point I am pulling late nights for two weeks straight and feeling like a zombie at school. Test anxiety used to be very real for me when I was younger because 5 minutes right before the exam I would get so nervous my hand would start shaking so I would have to calm down before I could answer the first problem. Kristine, I am glad you've been able to actively minimize stress and I hope I will be able to do the same.

      Delete
  6. This is so true. I, also, hear a lot about a certain amount of stress being a "positive" thing that helps you stay focused and motivated, but I never really understood this idea because stress has never been something that helps me at all. I like your tips on how to deal with this problem. Good point about getting more sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a similar experience, where I don't get super stressed about tests or assignments until like 24 hours before the deadline, when it all hits me at once. I definitely do think that getting more sleep can help you feel less stressed and help you focus better during the day, so I should probably do that. :) I like the fact that you have made it a priority to try and decrease the amount of stress in your life. I think that's a really important thing to do, especially when placed in stressful environments like school.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am very similar in that I tend to perform worse when I feel lots of stress or anxiety. I think this is part of the reason why I don't like to procrastinate on big projects or exams since I know the stress I'll feel the night before or day of will only make my outcome worse. I think its beneficial that you are making sleep a big priority for reducing stress - I think my stress would also probably diminish if I slept more. At the same time, however, I feel calmer if I go to bed late knowing that I have completed everything so I don't end up worrying the next morning if I'll finish the task in time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm lucky to not get test anxiety. Even if I'm nervous while studying frantically five minutes before, once I get the test I'm suddenly very calm. However, everything that's NOT a test tends to be my main source of stress. The avalanche of homework and other miscellaneous things are the main thing I've had to learn to manage. Overall, though, I think stress is alright in moderation. It's a pretty strong motivator if it's just at the right level.

    ReplyDelete
  10. For me I think stress often puts me in a cycle that makes things more stressful. Because I am so stressed out about an assignment I have to do I put it off since I put it off I get more stressed. I think stress can motivate me in short term things where I have to work fast, but overall it doesn't help or improve the quality of my work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts